Saturday, October 26, 2013

A Confession...

I have a confession to make.  I love shopping.  Absolutely love it.  And if it is for shoes or purses...all the better.  My daughter and I have no problem taking a day to hit whatever store we can.  But the one thing I like more then the actual shopping part, happens at the register.  I love seeing the total.  Then seeing how much we were able to save by using coupons, sales, and etc..  Shelby and I even frequent yard sales, second hand shops, Goodwill, etc..  We have found many bargains doing this.  In fact, I think most of my wardrobe consist of things bought this way.  However, there are a few rules we have come to know and shop by.  First rule is if it isn't going to get wore or used, then it is a waste of money even if it was on sale.  Second rule, try everything on unless you are %100 sure it will fit.  Don't want to get it home and find out that you just gave your hard earned money for something you can't wear and can't return.  Third rule, check the care instructions and for any rips, stains, or what not.  If it is going to cost you for dry cleaning or fall a part in the wash...again, waste of money.  There are some exceptions to this.  It just depends on your own ability to sew, stain remove, etc..  Last week we went shopping at our local second hand shop.  Found the cutest Croft & Barrows sweater ($60 NWT) for $3.00.  I did happen to notice that there was a small stain in the right arm.  The sweater just looked like it had been sitting in a closet for a while.  So I decided for $3.00, I'd take a chance.  The stain wouldn't have been noticeable anyway.  So, I brought it home and used some of my homemade spot remover on it.  Washed it and hung it to dry.  No stain!  It looks brand new and I can't wait to wear it.  The point is that it is possible to have a great wardrobe, dress the family, or afford nice gifts without breaking the bank.  It just takes a little research, self control, and knowledge.  I keep an app on my iPhone called Retail Me Not.  It has saved me so much money.

A few other tips...do not use your store credit card unless you are going to pay that bill right away.  Many stores will offer a certain amount off for using them.  Ask yourself a couple questions first.  What will I be paying in interest?  Will I have it paid off before the interest catches up?  Also, make sure you take your time.  You need time to try it on, look it over, read the coupons/sales details, and time to pay attention as things are ringing up.  Check out online deals before you head to the store.  Sometimes the discounts are better or there is a coupon available.  I have found Fisher Price toy coupons on coupon.com, searched the Walmart add, and been able to not only get the toy on sale, but save an extra $5 or more.  I have, also, been known to check online, go to the store to try on the right size, and then come home and order it.  If you order through sites like Ebates, they will send you a rebate check once a month for the amount you saved just by using their site.  So, not only do you save with the store online promotion, but you get a percentage back of what you spend from Ebates.  Ching!!!  Obviously, there are always going to be those who don't mind paying more for what they want.  That's fine and it is their business.  Yes, my kids wear name brand stuff and nice stuff.  I just much prefer that money in my pocket then someone else's.  I hope that this is helpful with the holidays around the corner.  Other tips to come.   

No comments:

Post a Comment