Thursday, July 30, 2015

Road To A Healthier Me...Three of Five


So sorry it has taken me so long to get this posted.  Between my daughter's wedding, new puppies, and just life in general, things have been nuts here.  Boy, life in our house has really taken on a few changes.  Some good, some bad, and some yet to be determimed.  I thought since I had the focus, energy, and time I would finally get a chance to get a post up.  Now, the last post I wrote described getting to know your body.  I truly hope that some of you have been keeping your journals and have learned a thing or two about yourself.  If not, it isn't to late to start.  Now, for the subject that everyone struggles with...diet.  We are constantly being bombarded with the latest, greatest diet plans.  They all have the same promises and seem impossible to follow.  Not only that, they rarely show us the results that we expect.  This brings me to rule number one and a lesson I had to learn the hard way.  Lowering expectations.  I had to get it into my mind that my results would not be the same as others.  With the medications I am on (daily steroids being one of them), it would be harder to control how much I lost.  I, also, had to remember that my body doesn't metabolize certain things as well as others.  Carbs and sugar being just a couple.  The less steroids I take, the more calories my body burns.  Some think this would be an easy problem to have.  Just take less steroids, right?  Wrong answer.  That is asking for a quick hospital stay.  I need those steroids to function.  The more my body is stressed, the more I have to take.  Another issue is that you can't check your steroid levels anytime, like diabetics check their glucose levels.  You have to go by how you feel.  Therefore, it is very easy to get too much.  That means more weight gain.  Plus, it is harder to lose.  Couple all that with the limitations my arthritis has blessed me with, and I am a sitting duck.  Make that an overweight sitting duck.  

This is why it is so important to know your body.  Whether you have a chronic illness or not.  If you do have a chronic illness, you will know better how your body functions (or in some case, doesn't function) and when things start to go wring so you can get right on trating it.  If you don't have a chronic illness, it will help you and your doctor better pinpoint any issues you may have in the future.  I learned that the best diet options for me were portion control, low carbs, high protein and fiber, and to eat less amounts more often.  I also learned that before I workout it is important for me to eat a light snack before hand and do it within an hour or two of the time I take my steroids.  Usually just a yogurt and something with a little salt lIke pretzels.  Drinking lots and lots of fluids is a must.  As my body burns calories and cortisol (which I have to take because my body doesn't make it), it also burns sugar and fluids extremely fast.  So low blood sugar and dehydration come on quick and severe.  It took me two years to figure that out.  It's not information that is always disclosed to you upon diagnosis.  Normal the human body compensates on its own.  Mine doesn'the have the ability to do that.  Which throws my whole theory about ever being normal out the window.  So, I watch my portions, my calories, steer clear of foods that cause inflammation, and drink a lot of fluids.  I will admit, it isn't easy.  However, it does get easier with time and is worth it when you feel better overall.  My diet is mostly plant and animal based.  Basically, if it can't be grown or raised in your back yard, I try not to eat it.  Not always successful, but I try.  The more processed or complex the food, the more inflammation, weight, and pain I experience.  I stay away from creamier salad dressings, heavy grease, bread, and pasta (which I adore) as much as possible.  Since my body is sensitive to salt, preservatives, and I have an extreme nut allergy, I read the labels on everything.  My biggest weakness is sugar.  I love me anything sweet.  Artificial sweetners cause me inflammation and there is research that claims they aren't the best for us.  So it is the real thing for me.  This is where portion control comes into play because I have found that depriving myself of it just doesn't work.  I just keep track of everything I put in my mouth.  A food journal is time consuming, but it is an extremely helpful and essential tool to staying on track.  Yes, it can be hard to remember to write things down.  Especially with our busy lifestyles, but it is worth it.  My best advice is to either keep a small notebook in your purse or find one of the many free apps out there for your phone.  Some will count more then just calories.  I use the My Fitness Pal app, and love it.  It makes a huge difference when you have to be accountable for and actually see what you are putting in your body.

In regards to vitamins, diet supplememts, and other diet aides/plans.  I do not take diet pills, powders, or some natural/herbal supplements.  Not that I don't think they aren't beneficial to some.  I just don't think they are right for me.  Many of them contain ingredients that, combined with my daily medications, can cause more harm then good.  My body can be dysfunctional on its own and doesn't need any help.  I take a One A Day Womens Formula multivitamin, Triple Strength Oesto-Biflex, flaxseed oil (tried fish oil, but too hard on the gut), Vitamin B complex with Vitamin C added, and a potassium supplement when my potassium is low (yet, another symptom of adrenal insufficiency).  All of these are gluten free and approved by my doctors.  My best suggestion is to research the supplement you are interested in.  While there are many hebral and natural supplements out there, they are just like anything else.  There are benefits and side affects to them.  Depending on your body and it's needs, it may react differently then it would for the friend that recommended it.  Also, research the source of everything.  If it's full of fillers and other additives, choose another brand.  Finally, check with you doctor.  I know many doctors don't like to dabble in alternative therapies, but there are some that do.  It is also becoming a more acceptable means of practice, in today's high cost of healthcare and pharmaceuticals (although many insurances won't cover it).

So, there you have it.  My diet plan.  I know it is not what a lot of you wanted to read.  Some were probably thinking I had a quick and easy weight loss diet I had discovered.  Truly, I am sorry to disappoint you.  I, too, know how it feels to be on that merry-go-round.  It stinks.  The truth is, there is no right answer for everyone.  Every persons body, needs, and abilities are different.  You have to do your research, experiment, and work at it.  Just like exercise.  Which I will be covering in my next post.  If I am being honest, I almost think the exercise part is much easier.  I do hope you are being able to learn something from my posts and know you are not alone.  It is a hard battle to fight.  Let's face it...we aren't just working against our own obstacles but the ones society sets in place for us too.  Between the skinny models, advertisements for supplements, and just the general public opinion...we are constantly under pressure to look a certain way.  I al,ost think that how we look has become more important then how we behave.  Not acceptable in my book.  I have just learned that I have to be happy with what I see in the mirror.  If I am not...then I need to look at my plan and make a few changes.  I have made the changes to my diet slowly and am still working on it.  It is something I will always do because it is a part of my lifestyle now.  It has to be because, unless there is a magical cure out there for my problems (or a fountain of youth), they are forever a part of me.  The good, the bad, and the ugly.  Much love and many blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment