Sunday, April 7, 2013

A New Leaf...

Well, I have finally gotten to the point where I have time to work on this blog a little bit.  I know what you are thinking.  It's about time.  What can I say, just like all of you, I am a victim of only so many hours in a day.  Recently, I had been thinking about trying to be a little more aware of what we are cleaning with, eating, and using on and in our bodies.  It got me thinking when a few days ago, Shelby (my daughter) and I were cleaning house.  I used some Commercial cleaner to clean the bottom of my screen door.  Just as I finished our Shih Tzu decided she was going to try and lick the door.  We caught her in time, but it really made us nervous about using cleaners around her.  I went from thinking about that to what my kids are using and eating.  Well, needless to say, that very same day a friend of mine posted a recipe for homemade laundry soap.  So, I started researching different recipes and other cleaners.  What I found out that many of these are safer for everyone, and the ingredients many of us have in our homes.  What better time to start trying some of these recipes.  It is Spring and there is a lot of Spring cleaning to be done.

It opened my eyes a little bit to how many resources God provides for us, but because of time and convenience, we over look them.  This does not just apply to cleaning products, but food, health and beauty items, and so many other things.  Now, I wouldn't jump the gun and say, "We are going completely green in the Crowl house."  But I would say that I plan on introducing more natural and economical items and ways of doing things into this family slowly.  I figured, not only would we save a little money, but we might save the effects on our bodies and the environment.  I remember once hearing someone say if you look at an ingredient list and can not pronounce the ingredients, then don't use it.  I've also heard the shorter the list, the better.  Well, we will see.  Conversion is often easier said then done.  This is why I think a little at a time is best.  Not to mention, I am not willing to go through my cupboards and throw out everything.  To me, that's an even bigger waste of money (plus the cupboards would be bare).  I was almost out of laundry soap, friend posted a recipe for some, and I had the time on my hands.  Therefore, laundry was my starting point.  I have posted the recipes onto the Homemaking page.  Feel free to adjust what, how, and amount.  This is only an example of what I used.      

No comments:

Post a Comment